New mushroom season in the Garrotxa

New mushroom season in the Garrotxa

In Catalonia, you can find many edible species, but there are hundreds that are toxic and even deadly.
With each any, with the arrival of autumn, a large part of the population out to pick mushrooms in the woods. This practice is often indiscriminately, which causes poisoning when they distinguish edible species of dangerous. That's why, the Department of Health promotes preventive advice and recommendations for moderate consumption and safe mushrooms.
L’any 2010 Catalan hospitals attended 69 People with symptoms of mushroom poisoning. Although they did not die of any affected, 54 had to be hospitalized. Many discharged within three days, but some were hospitalized three weeks. Most were poisoned in the province of Girona and only resided outside Catalonia. Besides, were among those affected 36 homes i 33 where is she from, all of them mean age 50 years.
In case of poisoning, the symptoms vary according to the species that are produced but the effects are more common: strong stomach pains, cold sweat, painful and continued vomiting, fetid and abundant diarrhea, dizziness, postració total, Delusions, alternative periods of crisis and calm… The first symptoms can occur after a short while ingesting mushrooms; Yet, severe poisoning and dangerous manifest after a few 8 O 10 hours.
Before the first symptoms, recommended immediately to hospital because the person affected receive adequate treatment because their effectiveness depends, en bona part, the speed with which action is taken. For this reason, it is also desirable to bring back the remains that have ingested mushrooms to allow experts to identify the species which has caused intoxication and facilitate the implementation of more effective treatment. A banda, it is recommended that if other people have eaten the same mushrooms, also receive medical care even though they do not present symptoms of intoxication.

New mushroom season in the Garrotxa

Advice and recommendations
In Catalonia, you can find many edible species but there are hundreds that are toxic and even deadly. The new scientific knowledge about the mushrooms have shown that edible mushrooms traditionally considered to have become regarded toxics, com is the CAS Tricholoma Equestre, known names verderol, yellowish or pixaconill, depending on the region (Spanish, Mushroom of the Knights).
There is no safe rules to distinguish poisonous mushrooms from edible and the only way to ensure that a mushroom is edible, o no, is correctly identifying the species and this is only achieved through knowledge and experience in the field mycology.
As main prevention measures, Health Department promotes advice to Combine·collection and consumption of wild mushrooms following:
· Collin only known edible mushrooms, presenting a good condition and you know for certain identified. Any questions, do not ever take the much less you eat.
· Discard broken specimens, those who have already begun to decompose or which are blooming, water-soaked or that have frozen overnight.
· Please note that, after rain, es poden discolor, contrary, may be too colored by absorbing moisture. It also may have lost some of the ornamentation and this could be confusing.
· Transport them in a basket and rigid aerated, to prevent fermentation.
· Keep them in the refrigerator, preferably.
· Eat them as soon as possible, since most rapidly altered, and preferably cooked, because some mushrooms are edible when they are cooked but can be toxic if eaten raw or undercooked.
· We recommend moderate consumption of mushrooms, preferably as an accompaniment because most are not easy to digest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *